Monday 30 March 2015

A New Song - After all This Time!

One of the original objectives of this blog was to talk about and possibly pass on to my readers some thoughts about song writing. When I look back, it was clear that I did not have a lot to write about on this subject. Disappointing, but it was started at a time when I was in a bit of a trough as regards my output of new songs.

I did include some videos and share some advice from around the web including a couple of articles now on Hubpages:-

A review of useful websites on song writing
How to write a memorable song

That "trough" lasted a long time. I guess to write effectively one of the best practices is to write lots often and be prepared to crop out the dross. It was always said that the old tin-pan alley writers used to write several songs each day whilst in the "office", but most were thrown away the next day.

My song writing activity virtually stopped quite some time ago, although I still sing my own material for my own enjoyment. Most of those songs now sound dated, but then I think my musical taste stopped developing in the sixties. A couple of years ago, someone asked me, how do I write a song, what goes into a good song?"

I answered, "A little bit of this and a little bit of that". Of course, I mentioned that anything could trigger off the process of writing a song. Even the answer I had just given to the question". And I actually did take that phrase (which of course wasn't in itself an original idea) and write a song. In fact the first I had written in years. I did of course (?) video my self, performing the song using my Fender Stratocaster as a backing.

Well, last Friday, I was walking to work and thinking about a song we had been rehearsing at the ukulele club, and for some reason my mind was wandering after the 20-30th run-through of the intro in my mind. We had been having some issue with the timing, when we played the number and it was to be the opening song in our next concert. Anyway to cut a long story short, the idea for a new song began to form in my head. I hadn't even though about writing a new song BUT I could not stop once it started to appear. I always keep a notebook in my pocket even now and wrote the lyrics down as fast as I could so as not to forget them.

Later that evening, I took out my uke and started to strum a few easy chords, and before long the melody was written as well. Then I had to record it so that it wasn't forgotten. So of course, here it is for you to hear, warts and all, as they say. There is a slow refrain (think George Formby and songs from that era) but it takes off after about 45 seconds. I may split the refrain up so that it doesn't take so long to get into the verses.



I am hoping that this is the start of an awakening of my song-writing and creative writing endeavours which has been becalmed for lack of inspiration lately.

PS. Why not follow this blog using the Google Friend Connect Gizmo on the RH margin, you know it makes sense.

1 comment:

  1. Great job, John. I can't believe how many talents you have. This is definitely a pick me upper...and the hubby likes it too.

    ReplyDelete