Wednesday 21 May 2014

I have just discovered Gypsy Fire, have you?

Another show at Solihull library Theatre. This time to see a band, GYPSY FIRE which I had not heard of. I was intrigued by the poster and on the spot bought tickets.

A real shame that the auditorium was so empty, if you have not yet had a chance to see / hear this band do yourself a favour and make sure to go and find out what I am talking about if they are appearing close to you.

I did not really know what to expect but I could not believe my ears. A journey thru styles and time the announcement said; and wow, it kicked off like an atomic bomb.

The show was in four parts. the first was classical favourites - explosive and driving, I was stamping my feet and working hard to keep up with the beat. The second was swing jazz. Again, a stunning performance of old favourites with lots of improvisation. The speed and delivery of the pieces were astounding. Part 3 was from music the movies, this slowed the whole thing down but again stunning. Part four was original music written by the band making use of the various sources we had heard from so far.

I was so taken with their music that in the interval, rather than heading for the bar, I made for their mechandising sound and bought a double CD based on the show. And just to prove it:-






I can't give you examples of the music from this but some examples can be found on their web-site. They do have one You Tube video available and of course here it is:



I am looking forward to seeing these four wonderful musicians again soon, maybe the CD will have to do for a while but I reckon I will be looking for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment